Reviewed by Paula Limbaugh
YIKES!! Who hasn’t seen the 1984 flick, C.H.U.D.?? This is one of those cheesy fun flicks that is great to revisit every now and again. Well, Crystal Lake Publishing has come up with another way to revisit and pay homage to that old classic by putting together an anthology of C.H.U.D. related stories! Yep, that’s right, C.H.U.D. Lives!
With an interview from the late film producer Andrew Bonime kicking it off and screenwriter Parnell Hall’s interview wrapping things up, this is one collection of stories you do not want to miss. Compiled by Eric S Brown and edited by Joe Mynhardt this was one huge undertaking that nailed it!
- Introduction by David Drake
- Interview with the late Andrew Bonime
- “Dog Walker” by Robert E Waters
- “The Dwellers” by Nick Cato
- “The City Will Eat You Alive” by Ryan C. Thomas
- “Date Night” by David Robbins
- “Strange Gods” by Christopher Fulbright and Angeline Hawkes
- “Lost and Found” by Greg Mitchell
- “They Are C.H.U.D” by Alex Laybourne
- “C.H.A.D.” by Michael H. Hanson
- “Samsa’s Party” by Ben Fisher
- “The Way to a Man’s Heart” by Tim Waggoner
- “Dweller Messiah” by Jason White
- “That’s Entertainment!” by Mort Castle
- “Toxic Disposal” by David Bernstein
- “Monstrous Me” by Martin Powell
- “Step Ate” by Chad Lutzke
- “Zero Hour” by JG Faherty
- “The Deuce” by Philip C. Perron
- “All at Sea” by Ross Baxter
- “You Will Never Leave Harlan Alive” by Jonathan Maberry and Eugene Johnson
- Interview with Parnell Hall (screenwriter) by Eric S Brown
For the uninitiated C.H.U.D. stands for “Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller” and yeah, that’s exactly what these stories involve albeit with a twist or two from each author’s own spin on the subject.
Aside from the stories you’ll find never before seen behind the scenes shots from the movie, interior artwork (check out the one below from Adam Markiewicz), and a fantastic cover done by Luke Spooner. The e-book also includes an access link to all kinds of goodies!
From sewers to subways, nightclubs to the Appalachian Mountains, you never know what is lurking beneath your feet but with the tales included here, you’ll at least get an idea what to expect, HaHa. Be in the know and pre-order your copy HERE!!