Written by Paula Limbaugh
I was absolutely gutted when I read the last anthology Doug Murano was involved in and now I am left in utter bedazzlement upon finishing this latest collection, Behold! Oddities, Curiosities, and Undefinable Wonders. Seriously, just take a look at this lineup!
Foreword: Josh Malerman
1. Lisa Morton: LaRue’s Dime Museum
2. Brian Kirk: Wildflower, Cactus, Rose
3. Hal Bodner: The Baker of Millepoix
4. Clive Barker: Jacqueline Ess: Her Will and Testament
5. Stephanie Wytovich: An Exhibition of Mother and Monster
1. John Langan: Madame Painte: For Sale
2. Neil Gaiman: Chivalry
3. Ramsey Campbell: Fully Boarded
4. Erinn Kemper: In Amelia’s Wake
5. John F.D. Taff: A Ware That Will Not Keep
6. Patrick Freivald: Earl Pruitt’s Smoker
7. Stephanie M. Wytovich: As a Guest at the Telekinetic Tea Party
8. Lucy A. Snyder: Hazelnuts and Yummy Mummys
1. Brian Hodge: The Shiny Fruit of Our Tomorrows
2. Kristi DeMeester: The Wakeful
3. Christopher Coake: Knitter
4. Sarah Read: Through Gravel
5. Richard Thomas: Hiraeth
Reading through these stories is a bit like strolling down the boardwalk of a long ago circus come to town. There are the freaks and geeks, the exotic and mysterious, and always the death defying acts that will keep tongues wagging long after the circus wagons have pulled out of town.
In the opening act we find the Oddities, these are the quirkier stories, where we find tales of the extraordinaire. Moving along we bump into the Curiosities, where we linger a bit longer to gawk at the weirdest tales. And, then we stroll right up to the Wonders… fanciful, delightful stories that delve deep into the imagination. Whoa, what an incredible trip this has been!
I can’t say I found one bad or mediocre story in this amazing collection. Every story will leave you wanting more. Doug Murano really knows his stuff when it comes to pulling together a themed anthology. Add in the amazing artwork from Luke Spooner and all I can say is, this is an award-worthy collection! Don’t delay, get your copy NOW! Available in both e-book and paperback (also on Kindle Unlimited) you can pick it up HERE!